Follow On Social


World Map


New Zealand Flag



Land Area

268,021 km2

Capital City


Largest city


Official language(s)

English Māori


New Zealand Dollar (NZD)

Date format


Drive on the


Calling Code


Information taken from Wikipedia

New Zealand Education Events

Interview sessions are a great way to get the information you need about the education institutions you like. Here is your opportunity to meet with the officials from overseas education institutions directly. To register for an interview session, please select from the events listed below.

New Zealand Visas

Student visa process for New Zealand

Contact us or come into our office to discover your options regarding your study destination, courses availablity and recommended institutions.
Register with us to start the admission and visa process. We can help you navigate through the various processes and make studying overseas easier.
Once you have decided what and where you want to study, we will help you complete the application to the institutions of your choice. At the time of application for admission you will be required to submit several documents including:
  • proof of previous academic qualifications
  • and, in most cases, proof of your English language ability.
We will also provide you with a checklist for the documents you will need to provide when the time comes to apply for your visa (step 5). By submitting your application through us you will be able to track the progress of your application as we send you automatic notifications of its progress. We also take the hard work out of tracking the applications by keeping in contact with the institution on your behalf.
After receiving your offer letter from an institution, you will need to undertake a medical examination by one of the doctors approved by the New Zealand Government. A list of the approved panel doctors can be found at

Police Clearance Certificate

At the same time you need to arrange for your Police Clearance Certificate (PCC).
To lodge your visa application you will need to provide the documents outlined in the checklist we provided in step 3. In relation to your financials, we strongly recommend you take advantage of the Funds Transfer Scheme (FTS) offered by ANZ bank. Benefits of using FTS include:
  • Parents having control over the amount of money that their child has access to
  • Students having access to sufficient money to meet cost of living
  • Less documentation and easier processes
  • Less in-depth fund assessments which reduces processing times.
Just like your admission application, we will keep you updated as to the progress of your application, keeping in contact with the visa office on your behalf.
After applying for your visa, and after we have advised you that you have received ‘Approval in Principal’ of your visa from the New Zealand Government, you will need to pay your first years’ tuition fees. You can choose to pay via Telegraphic Transfer (TT) or Direct Debit (DD). Our value added services department can help you arrange either of these payment methods. At this point, those students using the FTS will also need to transfer their living expenses contribution into their ANZ bank account.
We will notify you as soon as we know the outcome of your visa application and you can collect your passport. In most cases this is a positive response and it means you can also start planning your travel and accommodation!
Abroad Guru Overseas can help organise your travel arrangements so you can begin your new student life. Air ticketing, insurance and foreign exchange can all be arranged through us to make studying overseas easier!
For more information about New Zealand student visas, visit

New Zealand Work Rights

Work rights during studies in New Zealand

You can work up to 20 hours each week during the academic year provided you are enrolled in a full-time course that meets one of the following criteria:
  • The course is at least two years in length at a private training establishment or tertiary institution
  • The course leads to a New Zealand qualification that qualifies for points under the Skilled Migrant Category of Immigration New Zealand’s Residence Instructions.
  • The course is at least one academic year long, and the student is taking part in an approved tertiary exchange scheme.
  • You are studying in Year 12 or Year 13 and have written permission from both school and parents.
You can work full-time during the Christmas and New Year holidays at the end of each academic year provided the course is full-time and more than 12 months long.

Work rights for dependants in New Zealand

Spouses of students on a work visa can work full-time in New Zealand, however the dependants of students on a visitor visa have no work rights.

Post-study work rights in New Zealand

Students who complete either of the following qualifications by studying in New Zealand are eligible for a 12 month open work permit:
  • A qualification at Level 7 or above on the New Zealand Qualification Framework AND studied that qualification in New Zealand for at least one academic year; OR
  • A two year qualification at Level 4* to Level 6 on the New Zealand Qualification Framework AND studied that qualification in New Zealand for at least two academic years; OR
  • Two individual qualifications at Level 4* to Level 6 on the New Zealand Qualification Framework, where each qualification is at least one academic year study in New Zealand, provided the second qualification is at a higher level than the first.
*Only National Certificates Level 4 or the newly introduced NZQA owned ‘New Zealand Certificate’ Level 4 qualify.
Young Indian women with her child


Bringing your dependants to New Zealand

The spouse and children of students, who wish to join the student in New Zealand for the duration of the study period may be granted a visitor visa. For more information please visit the New Zealand Immigration website: Special Visitor Categories